Not that much new material, so I might as well talk about how my experience with the course so far.
While intimidating to begin with, the course has really slowed down in terms of pace. When we were being introduced to conjunctions and the various quantifiers, it was fairly quick and a bit challenging at times. But it feels like the proof lectures are bloated, and are extremely repetitive. It's strange to get "taught" things like proof by contradiction, and how to disprove statements etc. when this was already expected of us to be able to do three classes ago. I suppose it's to emphasize the importance of being able to write formal proofs.
It also may simply be a change in curriculum. I was very surprised to see a near complete absence of proving equivalent statements on the test. I don't think we needed to use a single law, which was 90% of what I had on my cheat sheet. There was also a shocking lack of proofs, given their coverage in the tutorial classes. That said, I've been told CSC165 used to be ridiculously difficult, with averages from even just two years ago as low as 50.5%.
While I'm happy to see the course not be it's former demonic student-slaying past, it's a bit dry and uninteresting to listen to something like 3 weeks of the same material. Still, there's a lot of course left, so I hopefully we can learn some more interesting concepts soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment